The books listed below are suggested based on their rating from the Authoritative Guild to Self Help Resources in Mental Health and/or my personal/professional experience over the years working with clients.
The information contained on this page is intended to provide general information on books about various issues. This information is not a substitute for professional medical advice and care.
- The Courage to Heal by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis. On adult woman’s recovery from child sexual abuse
- Victims No Longer by Michael Lew. On adult man’s recovery from childhood sexual abuse
- The Battered Woman by Lenore Walker
- Getting Free by Ginny NiCarthy
- The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans
- The Dance of Anger by Harriett Learner. For woman who want to understand and moderate their anger.
Anxiety, OCD, Fear and Self-Doubt:
The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety By John P. Forsyth, George H. Eifert
The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
By Bruce M. Hyman, Cherry Pedrick
The Confidence Gap: A Guild to Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt by Russ Harris
- Your Perfect Right by Robert Alberti and Michael Emmons
- Taking Charge of ADHD by Russell Barkley. For parents of ADHD children.
- Driven to Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell and John J Ratey. For adults with ADHD
- The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris (You can get the 1st 2 chapter free from the Happinesstrap.com website under Resources)
- Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life by Steven Hayes, Spencer Smith
- The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts by Russ Harris
- How to talk so Kids will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too! By Sal Severe
- The Joy of Parenting: An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Guild to Effective Parenting in the Early Years by Lisa Coyne & Amy Murrell
- WHY Do They Act That Way?: A Survival Guide to the Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen By David Walsh
Loss (Death and Grieving):
- How to Survive the loss of a Love by Melba Congrove, Harold Bloomfield and Peter McWilliams. On coping with loss of any kind, including death
- When Bad things Happen to Good People by Harold Kushner. A spiritually based approach to death, dying and grief.
- Working It Through by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. On coping with death.
- How to Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies by Therese Rand
- Why Marriages Succeed or Fail by John Gottman. On healthy and unhealthy martial styles. Reaseach based.
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman. Exercised for couple to do to become closer.
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love By Sue Johnson
- ACT with Love: Stop Struggling, Reconcile Differences, and Strengthen Your relationship with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by Russ Harris
- After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful by Janis A. Springs
- The Dance of Intimacy by Harriet Lerner
- Obsessive Love by Susan Forward. For those who are obsessive lovers and their targets.
Weight Management • Healthy Eating:
- The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person, Judith S. Beck
- Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food, Susan Albers
- The Appetite Awareness Workbook: How to Listen to Your Body And Overcome Bingeing, Overeating, & Obsession With Food by Linda Craighead
- The Body Image Workbook: An 8-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks By Thomas Cash
- Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling By Anita A. Johnston.